The Orinda Theater is the anchor of downtown in the pastoral East Bay town of Orinda, California. Designed by Alexander Aimwell Cantin [architecture] and Anthony B. Heinbergen [interior design], it opened in 1941.
By the early 1980s, this Egyptian-inspired streamlined moderne movie palace was slated for demolition and subsequently saved, reopening to the public in 1989.
The sidewalk in front of the theater features geometric terrazzo:
Backlit etched glass bricks:
In the rotunda lobby, a mural of stylized flying figures covers the domed ceiling:
The marquee stands tall in the heart of this sleepy town:
The façade is plain white concrete with a giant vertical fin marquee flanked by concave tiered spires and rounded neon design elements: