The Cincinnati and Suburban Telephone Company Building, located on the corner of West 7th and Elm Sts. in downtown Cincinnati, was designed by Harry Hake and opened its doors in 1931.
At the time of its opening, the building housed the world’s longest straight switchboard, with 88 operator positions. It was designed to protect the city’s phone network; with a push of a button, heavy steel doors could lock and metal covers could spring up over the windows on the lower floors.
Note the relief sculptures of telephones carved into the limestone frieze:
And also these random hotties:
Over all, the 14-story building is very imposing, but a close look reveals decorative details that add levity to the façade. It’s not quite as ornate as its more famous Art Deco neighbor, Carew Tower, but it’s lovely nonetheless: